11-Year-Old Mississippi Boy Who was Shot by a Police Officer After He called 911 for Help is Recovering After Being Released From the Hospital

11-Year-Old Mississippi Boy, Who Was Shot by a Police Officer After He Called 911 for Help is Recovering After Being Released from the Hospital

A young boy from Mississippi, aged 11, who had called 911 seeking help, is now recovering after being discharged from the hospital following an unfortunate incident involving a police officer. The boy’s family is demanding that the officer responsible be fired and face charges related to the shooting.

The incident occurred when the Indianola Police Department officer responded to a domestic disturbance call at the child’s residence early on a Saturday morning. According to the boy’s mother, Nakala Murry, and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, Aderrien Murry was shot in the chest by the officer.

Nakala Murry explained that the father of one of her other children arrived at her home in an agitated state around 4 a.m. Concerned for her safety, she asked Aderrien to contact the police for assistance. Upon the officer’s arrival at the residence, Nakala Murry claimed that he had his firearm drawn at the front door and instructed everyone inside to come outside. Tragically, her son was shot as he emerged from around a hallway corner into the living room.

Recalling the horrifying incident, Nakala Murry stated, “Once he came from around the corner, he got shot. I cannot grasp why. The same cop that told him to come out of the house. (Aderrien) did, and he got shot.

He kept asking, ‘Why did he shoot me? What did I do wrong?'” The shooting transpired in a distressingly brief span of “one to two minutes” after the officer had requested those inside the house to come outside, Nakala Murry shared.

Following the shooting, the young boy underwent medical procedures, including the insertion of a chest tube and ventilation, at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

His injuries included a collapsed lung, fractured ribs, and a lacerated liver. On Wednesday, he was discharged from the hospital. CNN has reached out to the hospital for further information.

During the incident, two other children, including Nakala Murry’s daughter and her 2-year-old nephew, were also present in the residence. The family now seeks justice and accountability for the officer’s actions.

Is Camera Footage Released?

According to Murry’s family attorney, Carlos Moore, the incident involving the shooting of Aderrien Murry was recorded by a police body camera. However, Moore stated that his request for the body camera footage was denied, citing an ongoing investigation as the reason for the denial.

As of now, the footage from the body camera has not been made public. Moore also mentioned that he was informed of the existence of video footage from a nearby gas station capturing the incident.


What was Family Told?

According to Murry, after her son was shot, she placed her hand on his wound to apply pressure while he sang gospel songs and prayed despite bleeding profusely. She mentioned that the officer involved in the incident attempted to assist by providing first aid and placing his hand on top of hers to help stop the bleeding.

When the ambulance arrived, Murry expressed gratitude for the attentive care provided by the medics. Moore, the family attorney, emphasized the severity of the situation, stating that Aderrien was dangerously close to losing his life.

He asserted that it is unacceptable for a police officer to engage in such actions without facing consequences. Murry had called the police on her daughter’s father, and Aderrien followed the officer’s instructions by coming out of his room, only to be shot.

Murry revealed that the police informed her that her daughter’s father was taken into custody on Saturday but was later released due to her not filing a police report against him.

Expressing her frustration, Murry questioned when she would have had the opportunity to file a report as she had been with her son in the hospital. She mentioned that, to her knowledge, no one from the police station had visited the hospital, and she had not been contacted by any investigators regarding the shooting.

While she expressed relief that her son survived, Murry tearfully conveyed her emotions, emphasizing the lack of communication from the police. Moore expressed his anger towards the continued employment of Capers by the Indianola Police Department.

He stated their belief that the city and the officer should be held accountable for the harm inflicted upon Aderrien Murray. In response, Moore announced plans for a sit-in protest at Indianola City Hall on Thursday morning.

Disclaimer: The above information is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site.

Leave a Comment