Alessia Russo is an English professional footballer. She is well-known for playing in the position of forward for Manchester United in the Women’s Super League and the England national team. She competed at the 2016 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup, and she was part of the squad that placed third in the 2018 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup. She was included in Sarina Wiegman’s England squad for UEFA Women’s Euro 2022. Her goal against Sweden was awarded “Goal of the Tournament” by UEFA and was later nominated for the 2022 FIFA Puskás Award.
Previously, the footballer has played for Chelsea, Brighton & Hove Albion, and North Carolina Tar Heels. Likewise, she has represented her nation in England at U15, U17, U19, U20, and U21. As a child, she played for Bearsted F.C. and then advanced to captaining Chelsea F.C.’s development squad.
What is Alessia Russo’s nationality?
Alessia Russo was born on February 8, 1999, which marks her present age of 23 as of 2022. Alessia Mia Teresa Russo is her full name. The Aquarius-born footballer is from Maidstone, England. Being born to British parents, Alessia holds British nationality and she came from a mixed ethnical background as she is of Italian descent. Her Sicilian grandfather moved to England in the 1950s. She is the daughter of her father, Mario, and her mother. Her dad played non-league football for Metropolitan Police. She grew up with her two brothers namely Giorgio and Luca. Her brother, Giorgio, has also played non-league football for various teams, most recently for Ramsgate while Luca went to the University of Missouri on a track and field scholarship.
For her education, Alessia attended St. Simon Stock Catholic School. After that, she graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Alessia Russo’s football career
- Alessia initially played for Bearsted Girls U10 as a child and played county schools football for Kent Schools FA.
- She began her career at Charlton Athletic’s center of excellence and then joined and captained Chelsea’s development squad. Her debut senior match came with Chelsea during the first round of the FA WSL Continental Cup on 2 July 2016.
Brighton & Hove Albion
- Alessia Russo was promoted to WSL 2 side Brighton & Hove Albion ahead of the 2017 FA WSL Spring Series in January 2017. She made her team debut on 5th February 2017 in FA Cup against AFC Wimbledon.
- She made her very first goal at the WSL level in the team’s Spring Series opener, a 1–1 draw with London Bees.
North Carolina Tar Heels
- Next, she moved to the United States to play college soccer, joining the ACC team North Carolina Tar Heels in the Autumn of 2017. She appeared in 19 games, making 18 starts as a freshman, and finished the season as the leading scorer on the team with nine goals as well as two assists earning several accolades.
- In 2018, she faced injury and returned from injury to make a career-high 24 appearances and once again led the team in goals with 13 in 2019. In August 2020, she announced she was forgoing her final year of college eligibility amid uncertainty around the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Alessia signed a two-year contract with the option for a third year with Manchester United on 10th September 2020. She made her team debut against Birmingham City, on 13th September. She missed the rest of the 2020-21 season after tearing her hamstring during training.
- She led the team in goals with 11 goals in 30 appearances in all competitions during her 2021-2022 season. During the January 2023 transfer window, with six months left on her contract, she was the subject of two world-record transfer bids from WSL rivals Arsenal worth more than the £400,000 Barcelona paid for Keira Walsh in September 2022. Both were rejected.
Alessia Russo International Career
- Internationally, Alessia has represented England on the under-15, under-17 and under-19, under-20, and under-21 national teams. She scored five goals against Croatia during a 13–0 2016 UEFA Women’s Under-17 Championship qualification win in October 2015.
- Likewise, she competed at the 2016 UEFA Women’s Under-17 Championship, competed at the 2016 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup, and was also the part of 2018 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.
- She was called up to the senior England national team for the first time as part of the 2020 SheBelieves Cup squad on 26th February 2020. She made her senior international debut on 11 March 2020 against Spain.
- She scored her first international goal, a hat-trick in a national record 20–0 victory over Latvia during the 2023 World Cup qualifying on 30th November 2021. Also, she was included in Sarina Wiegman’s England squad for UEFA Women’s Euro 2022 in June 2022. Her goal against Sweden was awarded “Goal of the Tournament” by UEFA and was later nominated for the 2022 FIFA Puskás Award.
- Manchester United Women on 10 Sept 2020 from Brighton & Hove Albion WFC
- Brighton & Hove Albion WFC from Chelsea
Awards and Achievements
North Carolina Tar Heels
- Atlantic Coast Conference regular season: 2018, 2019
- ACC Women’s Soccer Tournament: 2017, 2019
- NCAA Division I College Cup runners-up: 2018, 2019
- UEFA Women’s Championship: 2022
- Arnold Clark Cup: 2022
- FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup third place: 2018
- UEFA Women’s Under-17 Championship third place: 2016
- UEFA Women’s Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2016
- UEFA Women’s Under-17 Championship Top Scorer: 2016
- UEFA Women’s Under-17 Championship qualification Top Scorer: 2016
- ACC Freshman of the Year: 2017
- ACC Offensive Player of the Year: 2018
- United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I first-team All-America: 2018, 2019
- FA Women’s Super League Player of the Month: March 2022
- FA Women’s Super League Goal of the Month: November 2021
- PFA Fans’ Player of the Month: November 2022
- Manchester United Women’s Players’ Player of the Year: 2021–22
- UEFA Women’s Championship Bronze Boot: 2022
- UEFA Women’s Championship Goal of the Tournament: 2022
- Freedom of the City of London (announced 1 August 2022)
Is Alessia Russo Married?
Alessia Russo seems to be unmarried while talking about her marital status. At present, she is single and she is not dating anyone at a moment. She appears to be a very introverted person and remains tight-lipped when it comes to her personal life. She is fully focusing on her career rather than spending her time in the relationship. She is enjoying her single life happily. She has not been spotted with any man who could be assumed her boyfriend.
Alessia Russo does not have any children as of now. She has not planned anything about being a mother. She is building her professional career.
How much does Alessia Russo earn?
Alessia Russo is a professional footballer who is playing for Manchester United and the England national team. Before joining the club, she played professionally for Chelsea FC and Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. Playing several teams, she has made good money through contract deals, bonuses, sponsorship, and more. Her main source of income comes from a football career.
As of 2023, the net worth of Alessia Russo is believed to have between $1 million – $5 million. She could become the first woman footballer to be transferred for £1 million, her former coach believes. Alessia is earning around $500k from the current team she is playing for. She also has a car collection and she drives Kia Stonic. She lives a lavish lifestyle and she is satisfied with her earnings.
How tall is Alessia Russo?
Alessia Russo is a beautiful lady with an athletic body type. She has blonde hair color and her eye color is hazel blue. She has got a healthy body at present. She frequently hits the gym to be fit and to maintain her body.
Alessia has an athletic body type with a standing height of 1.75 m or 175 cm or 5 feet 9 inches. She has a body weight of 63 KG. She wears a shoe size of 10 US.