Baldurs Gate 3 Necromancy of Thay Location
The Necromancy of Thay in Baldur’s Gate 3 is a dark and mysterious book hidden within the depths of the Blighted Village cellar. To unlock its secrets and access its contents, you’ll need to find a key called the Dark Amethyst, a cursed gemstone that serves as the book’s entryway.
However, the Dark Amethyst is not located within the cellar itself but can be found not too far away in a treacherous place known as the Whispering Depths. To reach this location, return to the surface of the Blighted Village and head to its center. There, you’ll find an old well in the town square. Interact with the well until you’re presented with the option to climb down, and thus, you’ll descend into the foreboding Whispering Depths.
The Whispering Depths is a nightmarish network of caverns infested with menacing creatures known as Phase Spiders. You’ll need to navigate through this perilous maze, facing off against these monstrous arachnids in either stealthy evasion or head-on combat.
Your objective lies at the lowest and most Western point of the Depths, where you’ll encounter the formidable Phase Spider Matriarch, a boss-level threat that guards the precious Dark Amethyst. Defeat the Matriarch and her minions to gain access to the area where she dwelled, and amidst the bones scattered around, you’ll discover the glowing purple Dark Amethyst.
With the Dark Amethyst and the Necromancy of Thay now in your possession, you can attempt to open the dark book once more. Choose the book from your inventory and select “Read (Character Name)” to delve into its enigmatic contents. However, you must now make a crucial decision – whether to read the Necromancy of Thay or find a way to destroy it.
Should you choose to read the book, be prepared for a series of challenging Wisdom Saving Throws that escalate in difficulty as you turn page after page. The most demanding of these throws will require you to beat a DC of 20. Success in overcoming these trials will grant you a “blessing” from the book, allowing you to cast the powerful Speak With Dead spell without expending a precious spell slot.
It is worth noting, however, that you can acquire this spell through other means within the game, such as obtaining an amulet in the Dank Crypt that also grants this ability. On the other hand, if you decide to rid the world of this dark artifact, you’ll face a new obstacle.
The Necromancy of Thay is immune to all damage except for Radiant attacks, making its destruction a challenging task. To achieve this, you can utilize the Guiding Bolt spell, often wielded by clerics like Shadowheart. Using this spell, target the book and unleash the radiant energy upon it, thus erasing its contents permanently. This act of destruction will earn you a small amount of experience and the approval of Lae’zel, a rare reward indeed.
Ultimately, your choice between reading and destroying the Necromancy of Thay will have significant consequences, potentially impacting the course of your adventure and the relationships with your companions. The decision is yours to make, and it’s important to carefully consider the potential risks and rewards before proceeding. The world of Baldur’s Gate 3 is vast and filled with mysteries, and the fate of the Necromancy of Thay rests in your hands.
How to Open the Necromancy of Thay Book in Baldur’s Gate 3 Find Dark Amethyst?
To open the Necromancy of Thay book in Baldur’s Gate 3 and find the Dark Amethyst, follow these detailed steps:
- Locate the Blighted Village Cellar: The Necromancy of Thay book is hidden in the cellar beneath the Blighted Village. To access it, you’ll need to open a secret cellar door, trick a magical talking mirror, and disable traps around the book. Once inside the cellar, you’ll find a barred door in front of the book.
- Obtain the Rusted Key: To unlock the barred door leading to the book, you can find the Rusted Key on a shelf in the laboratory’s westernmost room. It’s located close to the lever that lowers the wall, granting you access to the previous area.
- Venture into the Whispering Depths: Upon examining the Necromancy of Thay, you’ll realize that you need another item, the Dark Amethyst, to fully unlock its secrets. The Dark Amethyst is located in the Phase Spider nest within the Whispering Depths, beneath the Blighted Village.
- Enter the Whispering Depths: To reach the Whispering Depths, head to the center of the Blighted Village and examine the well. You can either use Investigation or throw in a coin to climb down into the nest.
- Deal with Phase Spiders: The Whispering Depths are infested with Phase Spiders, formidable opponents that can be challenging to defeat. You can choose to sneak past them or use invisibility to avoid combat.
- Find the Dark Amethyst: Head northwest from the bottom of the well until you encounter a skeleton and an Ettercap patrolling on a higher platform. Sneak past them into the main nest area with the Phase Spider Matriarch. The Dark Amethyst can be found on the far edge of a giant hole in this area.
- Secure the Dark Amethyst: Use a scroll of Feather Fall, wait for the spiders to look away, then jump down to grab the Dark Amethyst. Sneak away from the area, or disappear again if the spiders spot you.
- Use the Dark Amethyst to Open the Book: Now that you have the Dark Amethyst, you can unlock the Necromancy of Thay at any time. Examine the book in your inventory, and it will open using the Dark Amethyst as the key.
Remember, the choice of what to do with the Necromancy of Thay is up to you. You can read the book yourself, give it to Astarion, destroy it with Shadowheart’s Guiding Bolt spell (though not recommended due to powerful enemies spawning), or simply hold onto it until you’re ready to face its potential consequences. Your actions will shape the story and outcomes in Baldur’s Gate 3, so choose wisely.
How to Get the Key to the Necromancy of Thay in Baldur’s Gate 3?
To obtain the key, the Dark Amethyst, for the Necromancy of Thay in Baldur’s Gate 3, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Return to the Surface: After exploring the cellars in the Blighted Village, make your way back to the surface. Head to the town square and find the old well.
- Climb Down into the Whispering Depths: Interact with the well and choose to climb down. This will lead you to the treacherous network of caverns known as the Whispering Depths.
- Beware of Phase Spiders: The Whispering Depths are filled with dangerous Phase Spiders. Be prepared for tough battles and consider sneaking or using invisibility if you want to avoid combat.
- Locate the Phase Spider Matriarch: Navigate through the Whispering Depths until you reach the Phase Spider Matriarch, a boss-level enemy guarding the Dark Amethyst.
- Defeat or Sneak Past the Matriarch: You have the option to either defeat the Phase Spider Matriarch and her minions or try to sneak past them to reach the Dark Amethyst. Choose the approach that suits your party’s strength and abilities.
- Obtain the Dark Amethyst: Once you’ve secured the Dark Amethyst, it becomes the key to unlocking the Necromancy of Thay.
- Unlock the Necromancy of Thay: With the Dark Amethyst in your possession, you can now unlock the Necromancy of Thay book. Examine the book in your inventory, and it will open using the Dark Amethyst as the key.
- Choose Your Path: Now that you have the Necromancy of Thay, you can decide how to proceed. You can read the book or choose to destroy it with the help of Shadowheart’s Guiding Bolt spell. Keep in mind that destroying the book may have consequences, as powerful Shadow enemies will spawn as a result.
What Happens if You Read the Necromancy of Thay in Baldur’s Gate 3?
In Baldur’s Gate 3, if you choose to open the dark and mysterious book, the Necromancy of Thay, you will be in for a challenging experience. As your character starts reading the pages, the book will force you to participate in multiple Wisdom Saving throws, each one becoming more difficult than the previous. The climax of this daunting task comes with the hardest page, which demands that you beat a DC of 20 in order to continue reading.
It is important to consider your character’s abilities and proficiency in Wisdom saving throws before attempting to read the book. If you believe that you have the strength and mental fortitude to overcome these challenging checks, then it might be worth delving into the secrets within the Necromancy of Thay.
Successfully passing all the Wisdom Saving throws while reading the Necromancy of Thay is a rewarding feat. The book bestows upon you a valuable spell called Speak With Dead. This spell is regarded as one of the most enjoyable incantations in the game.
With Speak With Dead, you gain the ability to communicate with deceased beings, extracting valuable information or uncovering hidden secrets from the afterlife. Having this spell at your disposal can prove to be invaluable in various situations throughout your adventure.
Given the potential benefits of obtaining the Speak With Dead spell, it is recommended that you read the book if you feel confident in your character’s capabilities to overcome the Wisdom Saving throws. However, be prepared for a challenging experience, as the DC of 20 on the hardest page can be formidable even for skilled characters.
Upon successfully completing the Wisdom Saving throws and gaining the Speak With Dead spell, the Necromancy of Thay will abruptly slam shut. Although it may seem like the book’s secrets have been fully revealed, it does leave players with a sense that there could be more to uncover from its pages later on in the narrative.
As the story unfolds and your journey progresses, there might be opportunities to revisit the Necromancy of Thay or uncover further knowledge from its enigmatic contents. Keeping this in mind, it is essential to carefully consider the consequences of reading the book and how it might impact your character’s development and the course of your adventure.
In conclusion, the Necromancy of Thay presents a fascinating and challenging choice for players in Baldur’s Gate 3. By opening and reading the book, you embark on a perilous journey through multiple Wisdom Saving throws, with the ultimate reward being the powerful Speak With Dead spell.
Should you decide to read the book, be prepared for an engaging and potentially rewarding experience, while also keeping in mind that there might be more to discover from the Necromancy of Thay’s secrets as the narrative unfolds.
What Happens if You Destroy the Necromancy of Thay in Baldur’s Gate 3?
Choosing to destroy the Necromancy of Thay in Baldur’s Gate 3 will earn you the approval of the character Lae’zel, which may be significant if you are interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with her. However, destroying the book is no simple task. The Necromancy of Thay is immune to almost all types of damage, making it impervious to conventional attacks. The only exception is Radiant damage, which can be used to break its defenses.
If you have Shadowheart as a companion in your party, you can use her Guiding Bolt spell to unleash powerful Radiant attacks against the book. Alternatively, if you are playing as a Paladin, you can utilize the class’s Radiant imbued attacks to deal damage to the book.
While destroying the Necromancy of Thay may earn you Lae’zel’s approval and serve your romantic interests, it’s essential to approach this task with caution. The book’s immunity to most attacks and the potential consequences of destroying it might lead to challenging encounters. Make sure to consider your party’s strength and capabilities before attempting to eliminate the dark and mysterious tome.
Disclaimer: The above information is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site.