Bang Si-hyuk is a South-Korean songwriter, lyricist, composer, producer, and music executive. He is famous for being the founder of Big Hit Music (formerly Big Hit Entertainment) and Hybe Corporation, and chairman of the latter. He is rumored to be dating a woman namely Sohee.
Bang entered the entertainment industry in the 1990s as a producer, composer, and arranger known as Hitman Bang. Prior to launching his own company, Bang Si Hyuk co-created the music with Park Jin Young, for Park’s agency, JYP Entertainment. He is one of the fifty richest people in South Korea according to Forbes Asia and is the only billionaire in the South Korean entertainment industry.
Who are the Parents of Bang Si-hyuk?
Bang Si-hyuk was born on 9th August 1972 in South Korea to his father, Bang Geuk-yoon, and his mother, Choi Myung-ja. His dad is a former president of the Korea Workers’ Compensation and Welfare Corporation at the Korea Social Insurance Research Institute. He also has a younger sister. His cousin, Bang Jun-hyuk, is the founder of Netmarble, South Korea’s largest mobile-gaming company, while his maternal uncle, politician, and former journalist Choi Kyu-sik, was appointed as the South Korean ambassador to Hungary in 2018. Bang Si-hyuk is Korean as per his nationality and his ethnicity is South-Korean-Asian. He cut his 50th birthday cake in 2022. Bang was interested in music from an early age as he grew up in a musical home. However, he was discouraged from pursuing a career in the industry by his parents.
During middle school, Bang formed a band with friends. He began writing and performing songs he had composed. He attended Kyunggi High School before graduating from Seoul National University with a degree in aesthetics.
Bang Si-hyuk Career Timeline
- During his college time, Bang debuted as a composer. With Park Jin-young, he started working together as a songwriting duo. He joined him as a composer, arranger, and producer after Park founded the company JYP Entertainment.
- One of their early successes was the first-generation group “g.o.d.” Bang arranged the instrumentation and music in the g.o.d’s debut album “Chapter 1”. Some of g.o.d’s most famous songs arranged by Bang include “One Candle” and “Road”. His stage name “Hitman” was initiated during this period.
- Besides g.o.d, he has produced or composed for many other artists, including veterans Im Chang-jung and Park Ji-yoon, singer-actor Rain, groups Wonder Girls, 2AM, and Teen Top, and R&B singer Baek Ji-young.
- He left JYP Entertainment and founded his own company, Big Hit Entertainment in 2005. There, he continued to write, compose and produce for Big Hit artists. He co-wrote six songs on BTS’ critically acclaimed “Wings” (2016) album.
- He was featured on the cover of the April 2022 issue of Time magazine together with BTS.
- Later that month, he received an honorary doctorate in Business from Seoul National University (SNU)—he is the first figure in the entertainment industry to be awarded such—in recognition of his “contribution to the development and innovation of the nation’s cultural and entertainment industry” and for his “role in turning K-pop into a global pop music culture”.
Bang Si-hyuk Awards and Achievements
- Melon Music Awards in 2009, 2016
- Mnet 20’s Choice Awards in 2010
- Korea Music Copyright Awards in 2011
- Asia Artist Awards in 2016
- Mnet Asian Music Awards in 2016, 2018, 2020
- Golden Disc Awards in 2017
- Gaon Chart Music Awards in 2017
- Korea Content Awards in 2017
- Seoul Music Awards in 2018
- Genie Music Awards in 2018
- Edaily Culture Awards in 2018
- Pony Chung Innovation Awards in 2020
How much is Bang Si-hyuk’s net worth?
Bang Si-hyuk is the founder and chairman of Hybe (formerly Big Hit Entertainment), one of Korea’s largest music labels and entertainment agencies. He took the company public in October 2020 in what was South Korea’s largest IPO in three years, which made him a billionaire. In October 2022, he donated 5 billion won (approximately $3.5 million) to the Community Chest of Korea. His main source of wealth comes from the entertainment industry and self-made entrepreneur.
As of 2023, the net worth of Bang Si-hyuk is estimated to have $2 billion as per Forbes. In April 2019, Bloomberg estimated Bang’s worth to be about $770 million. The BigHit IPO filed in October 2020 was the largest seen in South Korea in three years and skyrocketed Bang’s net worth to $2.8 billion, making him the only billionaire in South Korea’s entertainment industry and the sixth-richest person in the country. In June 2021, Forbes Asia published its annual list of Korea’s 50 Richest People. One of only two newcomers to the ranking, Bang was listed as the 16th richest person in South Korea. According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Bang is worth an estimated $3.2 billion as of July 2021. He lives a lavish lifestyle right now.
Is Bang Si-hyuk Married?
Bang Si-hyuk is not married yet and he does not have a wife. But he is rumored to be dating a 21-year-old woman who is 25 years younger than him. He has been in the spotlight for a resurfaced photo that was taken in Vietnam. It was not only Bang Si Hyuk that drew the attention of people, but it was also the tall, beautiful woman that was next to him in the picture. Fans have come to the conclusion that the woman in the picture is a woman whose Instagram ID is “sohee_172” and as a result, it has been assumed that the woman’s name is Sohee.
Bang Si-hyuk does not have children and he has not become a biological father to date. Besides his appearance with Sohee, he has not been linked with any lady which states clearly that he is not gay but he is straight.
How tall is Bang Si-hyuk?
Bang Si-hyuk is a handsome man with dark brown hair color. He has a pair of brown eyes color. He wears an oval-shaped spectacle that suits him perfectly. He has got a healthy body and he is very strict with his diet.
Bang Si-hyuk is 5 feet 6 inches tall and his body weight consists of 365 pounds (165.5 kg). He has an average body type with a charming smile and glowing face.