Lisa Ray is a Canadian actress. She is most notably known for her work in the 2005 Oscar-nominated Canadian film “Water” and the award-winning South African feature “The World Unseen“, described by a reviewer as “one of the best-conceived queer films of the past year.” She is a mother to her twin’s daughter with her husband, Jason Dehni.
Ray started her modeling career in India in the early 1990s, appearing for leading Indian brands like Bombay Dyeing and Lakmé. She then made her acting debut in 1996 in the Tamil film “Nethaji”. She made her Bollywood debut with her appearance in the movie “Kasoor” in 2001. In 2011, she began hosting a popular travel show on Discovery Channel India alongside appearing as host and judge in Food Network’s highest-rated show, Top Chef Canada.
Where was Lisa Ray born?
Born on 4th April 1974, Lisa Rani Ray is the full name of Lisa Ray. She was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to a Bengali Hindu father and a Polish Catholic mother and grew up in the suburb of Etobicoke. During her childhood, she spent some time in Calcutta as well. She is Canadian by nationality whereas her ethnicity is mixed. She is the daughter of her father, L.K. Dutta, and her mother, Jennifer Dutta. The actress celebrated her 50th birthday on April 4, 2022.
Ray excelled academically, doing five years of high school in four while attending three different high schools: Etobicoke Collegiate Institute, Richview Collegiate Institute, and Silverthorn Collegiate Institute. Moving to London, she concentrates on a career in the performing arts. While there, she studied at the Central School of Speech and Drama, the London Centre for Theatre Studies, the Desmond Jones school of Physical Theatre, and BADA. She graduated from the Academy of Live and Recorded Arts (ALRA), in 2004, with a post-graduate degree in acting.
Lisa Ray’s career timeline
- Lisa Ray initially started her career in an advertisement for Bombay Dyeing where she appeared in a black swimsuit opposite Karan Kapoor. Next, she went on to become one of the country’s first supermodels, and the face of Lakmé and Bombay Dyeing. Further, she lends her face to iconic global brands such as L’Oréal, MasterCard, De Beers, and Rado.
- After that, she co-anchored the TV show “Star Biz” on Star Movies and appeared in a music video for “Afreen Afreen”, an iconic ghazal written by renowned lyricist Javed Akhtar, and composed and performed by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
- She made her Indian Film Industry debut in 2001 with the Hindi film “Kasoor” in which her voice was dubbed by Divya Dutta because she could not speak Hindi. Then, she was cast in the romantic Indian-Canadian romp “Bollywood/Hollywood” in 2002.
- She played the lead role of Kalyani in the 2005 film “Water”. Likewise, she has also worked in productions from Canada, Europe, and the United States. She has appeared in “All Hat”, “A Stone’s Throw”, “The World Unseen”, “I Can’t Think Straight”, and “Kill Kill Faster Faster”.
- She guest-starred in a 2009 episode of the USA Network series “Psych” and appeared in the Canadian-American superhero film “Defendor.” In 2009, she starred in the Deepa and Dilip Mehta comedy “Cooking with Stella.”
- The year 2010 saw Ray in UniGlobe Entertainment’s cancer docu-drama titled “1 a Minute.”
- She acted in the stage play “Taj” in 2011 followed by “Patch Town”, “Murdoch Mysteries”, “Oh My God”. In addition, she began hosting season two of “Top Chef Canada” in 2012.
- In 2016, Ray starred in Ram Gopal Varma’s “Veerappan.” She played a crucial supporting role in 2017’s “Dobaara”.
- Furthermore, she has appeared as part of an ensemble cast in the Amazon Prime Video web series “Four More Shots Please” since 2019.
How much is Lisa Ray’s net worth?
Lisa Ray is a talented and successful actress. Making her film debut in 1994, Lisa has appeared in several movies and TV series to date. Her main source of wealth comes from the entertainment industry.
Lisa has accumulated a net worth of $20 million as of 2023. Ray acquired her net worth as a model and TV actress. She lives a lavish lifestyle right now and she is enjoying her life to the fullest.
Who is Lisa Ray married to?
Lisa Ray is a married woman. She tied the knot to her husband, Jason Dehni. Jason is a management consultant by profession. On 20th October 2012, the duo (then a banking executive) were married in California’s Napa Valley. Back in February 2012, Ray announced her engagement to management consultant Jason Dehni.
In September 2018, Ray announced that she and her husband became parents to twin daughters via surrogacy, in June 2018. The family is living a happy life without the sign of divorce.
How tall is Lisa Ray?
Lisa Ray is a beautiful and pretty actress who has a perfect body. She has a pair of brown eyes and her hair color is black. Her dress size is 12 (US) while her shoe size is 8 (US). Her body type is average.
The gorgeous actress stands at the height of 5 feet 6 inches or 168 cm and carries the normal weight of 57 kg or 126 lbs. Her body measurements size of 36-27-35 in (breast-waist-hip). She wears a bra cup size of 36B.
Appearing at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival in support of the film, Ray revealed that she had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. On Christmas in 2009, Ray received a stem cell transplant to treat her rare cancer. In April 2010, she announced she was cancer-free due to the transplant. As multiple myeloma is an incurable disease, Ray is not completely cured of the disease.