Sarah Lancashire is a British actress who is best known for being cast in TV roles such as Raquel Wolstenhulme (later Watts) in “Coronation Street”, Caroline McKenzie Dawson in “Last Tango in Halifax”, Catherine Cawood in “Happy Valley“, Rose Linden in “Rose and Maloney”, Ruth Goddard in “Where the Heart is”, Yvonne Kolakowski in “Clocking Off”, and Adult Laura Timmins in “Lark Rise to Candleford”. Her combined acting credits have earned Lancashire various accolades over a career spanning four decades, including two British Academy Television Awards. She is married to her husband, Peter Salmon who is a TV producer.
The actress began her career in a local theatre while teaching drama at Salford University. She did not give serious thought to the performing arts until the age of 18. She made her theatrical film debut as Beaty in the 2007 drama film, “And When Did You Last See Your Father?”. Likewise, she has appeared in The Paradise (2012), Cherished (2005), Five Daughters (2010), Dad’s Army (2016), Blood Brothers in 1990, Guys and Dolls from 2005 to 2006, Betty Blue Eyes in 2011, and Julia (2022–present).
Who are the Parents of Sarah Lancashire?
Sarah Lancashire was born on 10th October 1964 as the daughter of Geoffrey Lancashire (1933–2004), and Hilda McCormack in Oldham, Lancashire, England. Her father is a television scriptwriter known for his work on the soap opera Coronation Street and situation comedies such as The Cuckoo Waltz while her mother is a secretary at the Granada Television Studios. She grew up with three brothers, Simon Lancashire, John Lancashire, and James Lancashire. Sarah-Jane Abigail Lancashire is her birth name. She is British when it comes to her nationality and she belongs to a mixed ethnical race as she is of English and Irish descent. She celebrated her 58th birthday in 2022.
For her education, the actress studied at Oldham Hulme Grammar School between 1976 and 1981 and then attended the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Lancashire. She graduated in 1986, describing her time as a student there as “tremendous” but “seriously hard work and quite intimidating”. She did not give serious thought to the performing arts until the age of 18. In March 2002, she received an Honorary Master of Arts degree from Salford University.
How was the Career of Sarah Lancashire?
- Sarah gained her very first acting role which Howard Lloyd-Lewis gave. She then performed two plays with the company, “Pacific Overtures” and “The Beauty Game”. For five years, she worked as a drama tutor at Salford University alongside her acting work.
- In 1987, she made a brief appearance in “Coronation Street”. In the late 1980s, she also appeared in an episode of the children’s anthology series “Dramarama”. She also starred in a single episode of the ITV sitcom “Watching.”
- It was in 1990, she came to huge fame with the role of Linda in a production of Willy Russell’s “Blood Brothers” at the Albery Theatre.
- Likewise, she auditioned for the role of the new “Coronation Street” character Raquel Wolstenhulme. Between 26 September and 19 October 1991, Lancashire played the title role in an adaption of “Educating Rita”. Following Raquel’s reintroduction on 30 December 1991, she committed herself to Coronation Street full-time. She starred in the spin-off straight-to-video film “Coronation Street – The Cruise” in late 1995. After then, she appeared in “Where the Heart Is”, “Bloomin’ Marvellous”, “Murder Most Horrid”, “Clocking Off”, “Seeing Red”, “Chambers”, and “My Fragile Heart” till her late 1999s.
- As a TV personality, her last role on BBC One was the comedy-drama “Gentleman’s Relish”. Her first role under her new contract with ITV was the six-part drama “The Glass”.
- She then starred in movies and TV series including “The Cry” in 2002, “Life Begins” in 2002, “Rose and Maloney” in 2002, “Birthday Girl”, “Sons and Lovers”, “The Afternoon Play” in 2004, “The Rotters’ Club” in 2005, “Cherished” in 2005, “Guys and Dolls” in 2005, “Who’s Who” in 2006, “Angel Cake” , “Skins” in 2007, “Sex, the City and Me” in 2007, “And When Did You Last See Your Father?”, “Lark Rise to Candleford” (2008-2011), “Doctor Who”, “All the Small Things in 2009, “Five Daughters” in 2010, and “Inspector George Gently” in 2010.
- Sarah starred in a new Cameron Mackintosh musical, Betty Blue Eyes, at the Novello Theatre in March 2011. In 2012, she appeared as lady’s maid Miss Whisset in the penultimate episode of the 2010 revival of “Upstairs Downstairs”.
- She appeared opposite Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi in the BBC drama series “Last Tango in Halifax” between 2012 and December 2016.
- In 2014, she re-united with Last Tango in Halifax writer Sally Wainwright on the crime drama “Happy Valley”. In March 2015, she began filming a television adaptation of Ronald Harwood’s 1980 play “The Dresser”. Likewise, she played Mrs. Pike in the 2016 feature film “Dad’s Army.”
- In 2018, she starred as Miriam in “Kiri”. She portrayed Julia Child in the HBO Max drama “Julia”. The eight-part series debuted on the channel in March 2022. Having received favorable reviews the series was renewed in May 2022.
Who is Sarah Lancashire Husband?
Sarah Lancashire is a married woman. She tied the knot to her husband, Peter Salmon. The duo got married at Langar Hall, Nottinghamshire in 2001. Her spouse is a TV producer and executive. Salmon had proposed to Lancashire in New York during a holiday at Easter 2001. The two had begun a romantic relationship in the summer of 2000, though they had first met several years earlier while she was portraying Raquel on Coronation Street and he was employed by Granada Studios, which produces the soap opera. The duo is enjoying their life a lot without any disturbances.
The happily married couple is also blessed with a son namely Joseph Peter (born March 26, 2003) (Sarah Lancashire’s third child).
Was Sarah Lancashire married previously?
Sarah Lancashire was a married woman previously. At the age of 22, Lancashire married her first serious boyfriend, Gary Hargreaves, a music lecturer 11 years her senior, whom she had met four years earlier. Recalling the circumstances of her first marriage in 2001, Lancashire stated she only married because she became pregnant and possessed both a traditional outlook and a fear of the stigma of having a child out of wedlock. The duo separated in 1995. They parent 2 sons – Thomas Alan (b. August 1987) and Matthew Joseph Hargreaves (b. August 1989).
How much is Sarah Lancashire’s net worth?
Sarah Lancashire is a successful actress who has appeared in numerous movies and TV series. She is well-famed for her appearance in Coronation Street (1991–1996, 2000), Where the Heart Is (1997–1999), Clocking Off (2000), and Seeing Red (2000) among others. Her main source of wealth comes from the entertainment industry.
Sarah Lancashire has an estimated net worth of $20 million as of 2023. For her role in the series “Coronation Street”, she earned a reported annual salary of £90,000. In July 2000 Lancashire signed a two-year golden handcuffs contract with the ITV network, which made her the UK’s highest-paid television actress. The actress is leading a lavish lifestyle right now. She also has branded cars and a big house where she is living right now.
How tall is Sarah Lancashire?
Beautiful actress, Sarah Lancashire has blonde hair with a pair of blue eyes. She has forehead bangs with high cheekbones. She has an attractive personality with fantastic acting skills. At the age of 17, she started to suffer from clinical depression.
Sarah stands tall at the perfect height of 5 ft 7 in or 170 cm whereas her body weight consists of 75 kg or 165.5 lbs. Her body type is large. She has got a healthy body with a charming smile and a glowing face.