Stephanie Slater was a British real estate agent from Great Barr in the West Midlands. She was a well-liked, outgoing individual who was the life and soul of any social gathering. She made the headline after she became a victim of Michael Sams, who is Britain’s most wanted murderer, and kidnapper.
In 1992, Slater was kidnapped during a house viewing and held in a cramped wooden “coffin” for eight days. That day changed into something terrifying and was to shape the next 20 years of her life. During an interview on BBC Radio 4’s one-to-one program (2013), Stephanie mentioned that during the eight days, she was held handcuffed, legs bound, blindfolded, and gagged. Sadly, she died in 2017 and her cause of death was cancer.
Where was Stephanie Slater from?
Stephanie Slater was born in the year 1966. She was from West Midlands, England. She was British when it comes to her nationality while her ethnicity was British-White. Slater’s adoptive mother died several years ago and her adoptive father also died a few years back. Beyond this, there are no details regarding her parents. She was a believer in Christianity religion. For the last time, Stephanie celebrated her 51st birthday in 2017.
When was Stephanie Slater kidnapped?
- Stephanie Slater was kidnapped during a house viewing and held in a cramped wooden “coffin” for eight days on 22nd January 1992.
- Stephanie, at age 25, was abducted at knifepoint by the killer Michael Sams, who posed as a house buyer in Birmingham, in a case that shocked the country. She was released after her employer, Shipways Estate Agency in Great Barr, West Midlands, paid a ransom.
- She had been bound, gagged, and driven from Birmingham to Sams’ workshop in Newark, Nottinghamshire. He handcuffed her and attached electrodes to her leg, then imprisoned her in a wooden box inside a wheelie bin.
- Sams later pleaded guilty to kidnapping and imprisoning Slater and making a £175,000 ransom demand on her employers.
- Slater, who lived on the Isle of Wight, said in 2011: “Before this happened, I had a boyfriend, a job, and a company car. I had loads of friends and a great social life. But he [Sams] took everything and destroyed the next 20 years of my life. But now I am ready to begin again. Most people begin their lives in their 20s and 30s but those years of my life were destroyed.”
- Michael Sams was given a life sentence in July 1993 after being convicted of the murder and kidnap of Dart, and two attempts to blackmail police.
- Before her death, she wrote a book called “Beyond Fear: My Will to Survive” which was later dramatized into a film for TV. The book is about her time in captivity, and worked with police forces to improve the treatment of kidnap victims, and also with victims to help them cope after their ordeal.
- Channel 5 made a documentary show regarding her kidnap story that airs on 1st March 2023.
How did Stephanie Slater die?
Stephanie Slater died in the year 2017 after a battle with cancer. She dies at 50. She was taken ill near her home on the Isle of Wight.
Was Stephanie Slater ever married?
Stephanie Slater seems to have never married during her lifetime. So, she does not husband. But she once stated she had a boyfriend. She was assumed to be in a relationship with her long-time partner prior to her demise. Further, there are no details regarding her past affairs and relationship.
Stepanie Slater never became a mother and she had no children with anyone. Her sexual orientation was straight.
How much was Stephanie Slater’s net worth?
Stephanie Slater was a real estate agent by profession. She had made a decent sum of money from her professional career. Her main source of wealth was from real estate career.
Stephanie Slater had an estimated net worth of around $1 million at the time of her death. She made this fortune from her real estate career. She lived her life to the fullest.